How are you all doing? We are thinking of you all and want everyone to be safe and stay healthy.
Next week lets start our new learning process by having a FSES Spirit Week, see flyer attached. Email pictures to Principal Passwaters or Assistant Principal Kennedy or post them on our FSES PTA Facebook page.
Please make sure to keep following AACPS website and Facebook page about information coming out about online learning that will be used now that school buildings are closed through April 24th. We encourage everyone to read/see the most recent letter and video from Superintendent Dr. George Arlotto there (both are worth reading and watching in there entirety). As was stated in the video, AACPS asks all families to bring kindness, compassion and patience to every day! Learning never stops; school is not closed, just the buildings are closed.
Some points to make about this new online learning process that will become more clear as we go through this for the first time together:
1. The class time that is stated in the letter is a window that has been given. Students will not be expected to sit in front of a computer during all of those hours. Teachers will let their classes know what their expectations are and their timeframe. Most likely classes/instructions will be taped and placed in the Google Classroom to be watched my the students.
2. All staff and teachers are learning this new process as they go through this. Understanding and patience is imperative.
3. More information will be coming out about how families can get access to electronic devices where needed. 4. Below is helpful information about the Google Suite/Drive that teachers will be using.
Students can access their AACPS Google Drive and Classlink by signing into Google Chrome on their computers. Link to more information on how to access.
At the AACPS Board of Education meeting on December 4, 2019 a new proposal was submitted to adjust the original redistricting plan set forth during the Crofton HS Redistricting process that was completed last spring. The new redistricting proposal would bring about 56 new students to Four Seasons ES (these 56 students are currently redistricted to attend Piney Orchard ES in the fall of 2020). The PTA of Four Seasons ES was not involved in any of the discussions or notified ahead of time of this new redistricting proposal. While we know our school is amazing and we are always welcoming to new students and families our biggest concern in this process is that our classroom sizes will certainly increase since our school building does not have any additional space/classrooms to grow. As it stands today, we are over capacity at 107%.
This new redistricting proposal will be discussed and voted on (whether to move it forward to additional public discussion or decline the proposal all together) at the next AACPS Board of Education public meeting on Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 7pm at the AACPS Headquarters (Carol S. Parham Building 2644 Riva Road Annapolis, MD 21401).
Here is what we need our parents, and any FSES advocate, to do. We need visibility with the AACPS Board of Education members via email and attendance at upcoming AACPS Board meetings. 1. Send an email to the AACPS Board of Education members (email@example.com) TODAY and FRIDAY, asking them to join the planned tours of Four Seasons ES and Piney Orchard ES next week. On these tours AACPS Board Members will view the facility and the space with school administrators. The AACPS Board Members will be able to see the differences between the layout of the two school buildings, the vast differences in existing and buildable classroom spaces at each school. The AACPS Board Members will be able to see that FSES has no empty classroom space and very little land space for possible portable classrooms. The tour is optional, the reason for the email is to encourage attendance of each board member so they can make an informed decision after seeing each school campus.
2. Send emails, make calls or request in person meetings to the AACPS Board of Education members (firstname.lastname@example.org) leading up to the January 22, 2020 meeting. This email should be personal in nature to discuss how overcrowding will affect your child(ren) at FSES. You can also discuss how FSES was not included in the process that other schools were given last year and have not had the opportunity to have a say. You can email as often as you feel compelled to, you could even send an individual email for each of your children and how it will affect them. With the addition of 56 new students, FSES will be over capacity at 116% (that does not included any additional new students that FSES will gain from normal home sales, etc.).
3. . The next AACPS Board of Education meeting will be Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 7pm. This new redistricting proposal will be on the agenda. Please plan to attend, and if possible speak (you can sign up on-line to talk at the meeting or before the meeting starts). Show up wearing your Four Seasons Sharks shirts or wear BLUE in solidarity. We have added an event to the FSES PTA Facebook page for this meeting.
Thanks for your assistance in this important matter. See you at the meeting on January 22nd!
Permanent link to this article: http://www.fourseasonspta.org/2020/01/09/fses-proposed-redistricting-plan-initial-information/
The FSES PTA will be hosting our second dance of the school year on Friday, January 10th. Please add this to your calendar, can’t wait to see all our FSES family there. Volunteers are needed, please sign up to help if you can.